Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Thoughts on a Wonderful Woman

On this day ten years ago I lost my grandmother. This was particularly traumatic for me because she was a mother figure to me. I spent nearly every day with her since I was a baby. Needless to say she had a profound impact on my life and helped to shape who I am today. I credit her with inspiring my love of travel as a child. Even though my parent's couldn't afford to go on vacations much, I can recall many day trips on weekends where my cousin and I would hop in my grandparent's SUV and go somewhere. My grandma loved travel well before me. She had gone all over the country, taking my dad and uncle on trips to visit her mother in Texas. My dad recalls those trips fondly just as I do with my own experiences.

My grandma showed me how wonderful it is to be curious and experience new things and places. I often think about what she would say to me if she were still here today. I have my moments where I am discouraged and feel defeated. It's at those times that I stop and think of her. No matter how badly someone screwed up or didn't live up to their expectations, she was always there. She picked up the pieces, offered anything she could to make someone feel better. She was their for the good moments too don't get me wrong. Nothing would stop her from missing a t-ball game or school play. No event was too small for her to rearrange her schedule. Today I like to think she would see me and be so proud that I am following my dream, struggling but nonetheless thriving. She was, and in spirit, still is my biggest cheerleader. Now she simply cheers from a different sideline.

Miss you every day. RIP Grandma Carol

No comments:

Post a Comment