Monday, November 4, 2013

The Shoulder Season

The town of Gettysburg is heading into a period of rest, brought on by the cold weather fast approaching. Lets face it, no one wants to walk around a battlefield in the middle of a snow storm. Can you really blame them? Every destination has this period of time. In Mexico it's the middle of Summer when the heat and humidity are just too unbearable. For the Caribbean it's hurricane season. This is somewhat unique for the industry, besides teachers who get Summer's off. A typical office job might never see a period of rest. For instance, my mother's fast paced workplace feels a loss when anyone takes a significant amount of time off. Things can fall behind so quickly and reach a point of no return. In tourism this shoulder season can be a time to freshen up on skills. Take a class, learn a language or just polish up day-to-day tasks.

I personally am looking forward to the more selfish things (at least some of the things.) Like being able to go to a bar in the town square without having to wait for a place to sit. Walking around town without being asked for directions. An uninterrupted vacation of my own in the tourist town I live in. I will run on the battlefield, the very desolate battlefield. I'll enjoy the free perks my job offers in the unpopulated museums. My point is tourists miss out on what a destination really looks like, after the crowds have gone home. But contrary to many beliefs, this town has a living breathing population year round and is not run by government actors.

This post feels pretty dry, but I don't have any witty writing in me this week. Need a little break from my newfound hobby of blogging.

No comments:

Post a Comment